Saturday, May 11, 2013

My childbirth experience and births in South Africa

I have two boys, Connor (14) and Tanner (12 next month).  It’s hard to remember everything about their births, but they are the most special births I could ever want to discuss!  I guess I have to say I can remember Tanner’s the most because I was having marriage problems at the time.  It all worked out perfect though, no fretting!!  I went into labor the evening before his birth. I got to the hospital about midnight. I was so nervous and upset. My husband and I got settled into our room and they started hooking me up and checking me out.  The nurses started pain meds after I had dilated enough.  I didn’t have to push near as much as with my first son.  Connor took me forever to push out!  Tanner came out a lot quicker.  I had him at 6:12 am on 6-11-01.  I will never forget that one!  He is a morning person to this day.  We still didn’t have a name picked out for him after he was born, because we couldn’t agree on a name.  It didn’t help that we were still arguing and fighting while I was in labor and even after. Tanner turned out to be ADHD and I feel that it probably stemmed from our not getting along during my pregnancy.  I’m proud that he turned out to be really smart despite the problems!
Birthing experience really does affect the child in more ways than one.  Some women reportedly refuse to go the hospital to give birth and do it at home no matter the complications, because they are too afraid of hospitals. The women had heard how the hospital staff was rough or harsh to others.  The hospital staff doesn’t give proper care to the newborn baby or mother. If a baby came out with any problems, sometimes the staff wouldn’t try to help or save them and would let the infant or mother perish.  Obviously, if an infant doesn’t receive proper care, they could obtain deformities, birth defects, or even mental problems. Some women were reportedly refused pain medications or antibiotics to take home with them.  
I can’t imagine being treated this way.  We are definitely blessed to be in the US where birthing mothers and babies are always priority. Child development has a huge reflection from the birthing experience.  Children born in a harsh environment don’t always live to their potential because of so many complications during birth. Children born in a peaceful and healthy environment usually are born healthier and have the resources to live up to their potential. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule and we can thank God for that!
             www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232413.php

No comments:

Post a Comment