Thursday, May 16, 2013

Malnutrition Affects Child Development Everywhere


Malnutrition is a topic of grave importance, because without food we all would perish.  This topic has always been a sensitive issue with me.  I didn’t grow up having to worry about food, but so many families do on a daily basis. I am blessed to not have this issue personally, even if I have to charge groceries sometimes. Not all people have the luxury of having a credit card at their disposal to use. I have a sensitive side when I see families, especially children, suffering. I know of people here in the US that is not able to buy food like they need to be able to feed their families properly.  On the other hand, I see so much food being thrown away at school every day that it just kills me to see this waste.  Especially, when I know there are starving children in other parts of the world, like Southern Africa that would love to have some of the food that we throw away on a daily basis.  I have always heard about starving children in Africa.  It just breaks my heart when I see the pictures in the infomercials trying to raise money for them!  
 When I began my research into this topic, I wasn’t shocked to find out that of the African countries, Sub-Saharan Africa has made the least amount of progress towards achieving the Millennium Development Goal of reducing hunger by half by 2015 (Folaranmi, 2012).  The
Horn of Africa is experiencing the worst food shortages in recent years, partly because of increase in population, political conflicts, and climate changes.
The definition of food security and malnutrition
The World Food Summit of 1996 defined food security as existing “when all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe, and nutritious food that meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life.”(8) This definition is based on four dimensions: the availability of sufficient quantities of food of appropriate quality; access by individuals to adequate resources for acquiring appropriate foods for a nutritious diet; utilisation of food through adequate diet, clean water, sanitation and healthcare to reach a state of nutritional well-being where all physiological needs are met; and the ability of populations, households and individuals to have access to adequate food at all times (Folaranmi, 2012).
Honestly, even in the best circumstances, it is hard to meet the definition requirement of food security.  We may live (I live in the US) in a county where food is abundant in stores, but that doesn’t mean we can afford to buy when and what we want.  I want to be able to help children and families one day through mission work or charitable organizations to have enough food to survive. 
Reference
Folaranmi, T. (2012, September 17). Food insecurity and malnutrition in Africa: Current trends, causes, and consequences.  Consultancy Africa Intelligence.
www.consultancyafrica.com

4 comments:

  1. Niki, don't you find it ironic that a very rich country such as ours still have individuals and families who are not able to get nutritious food and yet in the same city healthy leftover and excess food are thrown away. Such a big waste that could have been benefited by those who need them. You are right when you said that there are a lot of food in stores but we cannot afford them. If it would be any comfort, those foods that we cannot afford may not be even good for our body.
    Malnutrition, whether it is under nourishment or over nourishment, remains to be a world wide concern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked by the research I found on access to health water too. It is amazing that we get whatever food and water here so easily and waste it at such alarming rates yet other countries have none. I just to work in a restaurant and saw so much food go to waste every single day. I really wish there was more we could do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niki,
    Your topic “Malnutrition affects child development everywhere” speaks for itself. As a child growing up food wasn’t a problem for my family neither. When I’m watching television and they show all these commercials of children in need of food it really breaks my heart to know we throw away food and they are struggling just to get one meal. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha Niki,

    Great job with your posting. I find that even with my facility, food that is offered here is so small in portion, but by USDA charts we are providing children with the right amount of food. Everyday my children ask for seconds and thirds. I know else where in the world children don't even have food. I guess we should be grateful for what we have. Sometimes I see food not eaten in other classrooms and think of a way that rooms with extra food can go to those that need food. I feel strongly too that malnutrition is a world wide issue and it affects child development.

    ReplyDelete